Friday, September 22, 2006

XBLA vs Nintendo VC vs Sony PS3 Retro Games

It has recently come to my attention (via TGS) that, much like Microsoft and Nintendo, Sony will offer downloadable games via their Playstation 3 online service. Considering their commitment to copy XBOX Live "feature for feature" this is about as surprising as the sun rising in the morning. Let's take a moment to quickly analyize who is getting what.

Nintendo:
Massive back library of Nintendo and Genesis games.

Sony:
Library of PC Engine, Genesis games, and some original titles.

Microsoft:
Games like Scramble and Robotron

Hmmm. Now usually I don't count chickens until they're hatched. I refuse to believe a single thing Sony or Nintendo say until their console is available for implant into my living room. It's safer this way. That way I don't go around expecting things like dual HDMI, and seven controllers. *jab* But seriously, is it time for Microsoft to start pulling out the big arcade guns and showing us the future? I think so. Did they actually expect us to like Scramble? I hope not. I understand, of course, that they can't release games that aren't ready and maybe truly there isn't anything ready. That's okay. But if Sony and Nintendo start beating Microsoft at their own game, that is cause for concern.

Of course, and I wouldn't put it past them, they're probably just saving all the nuclear ammo for the PS3 and Wii (I despise that name) launch this fall.