Friday, October 13, 2006

Fatherhood vs. Gaming Addiction

Like most gamers, I anticipate the upcoming holiday season with vast amounts of glee. My custom gaming calendar is literally packed with release dates of fantastic games that I'm more than willing to shell out for. I'm a successful designer, and I can usually easily afford to increase my library of 360 and DS games with six or seven AAA titles.

This year, however, that is just not the case.

For this March my life will be blessed with the birth of my first child. A gamer 'under construction' if you will. This has forced my hand, for the first time since I joined the work-force, to carefully select what it is that will keep me occupied in my spare time. Kids are expensive, so I've been told. Instead of shopping in the games zone at Toys R Us, I've been spending a lot more time in the Babies R Us section attempting to decipher the difference between a $200 and a $500 stroller. Or even trying to figure out what colour of bedding will best match the sleek, dark wood crib we've already picked out. It's a different world, and it's expensive.

So what games have made it to the must-buy list? Not many. For the sake of my own sanity I've created three arbitrary categories.

Buy Now

  1. Gears of War
  2. Rainbow Six Vegas
  3. Final Fantasy III (DS)
Buy Used (After Christmas)
  1. Viva Pinata
  2. Phantasy Star Universe
  3. Fusion Frenzy 2
Not going to buy new, might buy used.
  1. Splinter Cell Double Agent
  2. Marvel Ultimate Alliance
  3. DOA Extreme 2
  4. Call of Duty 3
There are several things that can, and will, impact this list. Demos, reviews and (of course) my playtime at X06 next week. I'm pretty settled on the 'must buy' list however. My guess is the only game that is going to move up is Call of Duty 3. I've sworn off WW2 games, but that game looks so good I may just change my mind.