Monday, November 27, 2006

What’s going on

What a great month. Seriously. Okay, right up I know I haven’t been around much. Rest assured a new comic is being worked on (although I admit… slowly). But I can explain! Too many good games to play!

Gears of War = awesome game. I don’t think I need to try and win anyone over on this. As I predicted, it did live up to the insane amount of hype it generated. The co-op is implemented flawlessly and HotelQueen and I are working our way through the campaign. On Hardcore, naturally. (I despise the term *natch*)

Rainbow Six Vegas has hardly left my drive since I purchased it last week. This game, unfortunately, does NOT have flawless co-op. In fact, I can point out quite a few flaws with this game (and I have done so on the official Ubisoft forums). Pretty much all of my concerns revolve around split-screen in one way or another. I mean seriously, why can’t we both use our custom PEC characters during co-op? One of us can but the other can’t? Not cool. Fortunately, the lackluster split screen support is somewhat offset by the engrossing single player and Xbox Live play. I’ve only made it to Private 1st Class, but I’m looking forward to eventually grabbing some killer night-vision goggles.

Small Arms is so much fun I literally giggle when I think about it. I even managed to grab that elusive “Six Degrees” achievement on my very first Live match. I do find the single player campaign a little too difficult on the later levels mind you.

I also want to take a moment to point out this article (thanks Major Nelson). It’s a feature on J Allard, the legend behind the Xbox 360’s creation. I honestly felt very inspired after reading it. Mostly because of that little snip about how he sent out this big email telling everyone to pay attention or get smoked by the competition. Do you know how many times I’ve wanted to do that?

Three years into his Microsoft tenure, Allard was working on Windows NT server software, with no direct reports. Frustrated, he wrote his now-famous memo. Allard wanted Microsoft to figure out what Internet users wanted to do, build tools to help them do it, and become a technical leader before rivals did. "Embrace, extend, then innovate," he wrote. "Change the rules: Windows becomes the next-generation Internet tool of the future!"

Thanks for that J.