Wednesday, December 06, 2006

The Rant #1 - Gaming is not a *sport*

Welcome to a brand new feature, I call it "The Rant". Will it continue? Probably. As a gamer with over 20 years experience I've seen a lot of messed up stuff in this industry. Every once in a while I see, hear, or read something that really pisses me off. I'd like to talk about that.

Parental Advisory Warning: I am 'unkind'.

I read a lot of gaming blogs. No joke. A lot. One of my favourites is Joystiq. They have a light-hearted edge that, being a hardly serious person, I can appreciate. This evening I came across a post talking about how they're going to do drug checks in this Cyberathelete Professional League some genius decided to start.

Did I miss a fucking meeting? When the hell did gamers turn into 'atheletes' and when did gaming become a sport? To make it all worse, it's a fracking eSport.

Let me tell you something. I remember being in middle school having a fascinating debate with my best friend on which we liked better (Nintendo or Sega), and those asshole Jock atheletes decided to tease me for it. Don't insult me now by thinking that I in any way, shape, or form
want to be called one of them. Even now, at 28 years of age, I still get eyes rolling when my hockey-playing co-workers overhear me talking about a passion I happen to take pretty damn seriously. Gaming is about as much of a sport as figure skating is.

God I hate figure skating.

And don't think I'm in the dark over hear Mr. Marketing guru. I know why you're calling it a sport. You and your friends at Spike think gaming needs to be made more mainstream before it can fit nicely into your pretty TV shows... and maybe you're right. But insulting the generations of geeks that brought gaming to what it is today is not, I repeat: is not, the way to do it.

Gamer for life... or until carpal tunnel sets in.