Thursday, February 01, 2007

My Vista Box is Done

Contrary to what other people are saying, I really like Vista. I am happy to report that last night I managed to build a computer from scratch and get Windows Vista running on it without any problems. In fact, I would go as far as saying that it was smoother than any XP install I have ever done (and I've done a lot of those). Here's the specs for the tech heads out there:

Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 2.16Ghz
ASUS P5B Mainboard
2GB OCZ PC6400 RAM
320GB Seagate Barracude SATA2 HDD
nVidia 7950GT 256MB Video Card
Building the computer took the longest, a lot has changed in the five years since I've completely assembled a computer from the ground up. Everything had different connectors than I'm used to but overall it wasn't that bad. I think the thing that surprised me the most was the size of the CPU heatsink and fan. That sucker is huge. The first PC I ever built myself (286) didn't even have a CPU fan! Pertaining to Windows Vista, the install was easy and painless. If it took more than 20 minutes I'd be surprised. All of my hardware worked at first boot and the only additional driver I needed to update was for my video card. I installed a few games that I had lying around and they all ran flawlessly. Overall, I'd say that 'impressed' is an understatement.